.

This blog was started in 2008 when we did IVF for the first time to build our family after 5 1/2 years of infertility. We now have 14 and 8 year old boys (thanks to modern medicine) and we are enjoying our blessed life as parents ♥ In the summer of 2016 we took another huge step and moved across the country from Oklahoma to New York! This blog is about life and everything in between



Monday, October 3, 2016

Taking a Walk

I try to take a walk every day. Sometimes in the afternoon, sometimes in the evening. Usually with one child or both depending on who's home and who's napping. But every time I walk slowly.

I walk to inhale the scent of a nearby bakery churning out sweets. I walk to listen to the quietness of nature. I walk to observe all of the other people who have made this neighborhood their home. I walk to appreciate the beauty of the fruit trees, the lush green grass, the kept-up flower beds, the different characteristics of each house. I walk to teach Jacob new words as he points to the cars, grass, sticks, and squirrels. I walk to let him chew on the fallen sticks and drag them on the ground so he can feel it scratch the concrete. I walk to let Bradley ride his bike way ahead of me and learn his way home. I walk to wave hello to people in their yard or driveway.

I walk to ABSORB. Sometimes it hits me that I'm actually here--that we did it! We followed our dream, no matter how crazy or stupid most people thought it was. A whole new world is opened up to us, and it is crystal clear looking back at our last few years that were so very hard and trying were to get us ready for this. We see now that God had closed some doors only because he planned to open up a window.

Four months have passed since the move. Sometimes in the evening when the kids are in bed and the house is quiet, Nick will look at me and ask, "Do you think we did the right thing?" I just smile because he and I both know the answer. YES. Our dreams are within reach and we are so excited to make them a reality!

Of course we miss our families. We missing the dinners, birthday parties, get togethers, big holidays, coffee chats. It really hurts us that some of them have flat out said they will NEVER visit us. I know that some of them would like to visit but are unable to because of work and children. We are working on making peace with that because even though we hoped for support, we still anticipated that some would never give it.

It makes me sad because I want to share this new place with family. I want to show them that it's really not as different and crazy as the "New York" stereotypes make you think. I want to show them the beauty of the Great Lakes, the waterfalls, the countryside, the vineyards. I know these feelings will intensify when we get our Victorian house.

As I finish my walks and cross the street to my sidewalk, I always smile as I look around at how much in life has changed. Different car, house, job, city, state, friends, neighbors, stores, weather, furniture--everything. But I smile because I am reminded that thankfully not all change is bad. And it's the good changes that help get us through each day. When the not so good things happen we have the comfort of knowing we WILL get through it.


Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

Show some love and tell me what you think! Don't forget to check back often for new posts.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...